Thursday, May 19, 2011

Open Letter From The Editor

From:

"Larry Mayfield"


To:
"Lydia Percy"

Lydia,
the things I wish to discuss:

1. Your writing. I cannot edit effectively without discussion or hearing your intended oral translation. Otherwise I would sound out of place. Mainly I want to hear you do at least part of each piece to find the stong parts and locate the parts that might need a tweak. Mainly I want to ask you questions so you can see the possibilities of how a reader/listener might perceive the piece. Also want the opportunity to bring attention a few things about layout by asking what you want and then adjusting to what you want with some creative suggestion possibilities. Your writing is expansive and should remain fairly unaltered with one decision to be made through discussion--the decision of wondering if two versions might be something to consider--one written, and one for spoken word. As spoken word, I have very few change suggestions. For written word, there are some things I might suggest that could be an enhancement that will be like losing an effective element when going from spoken to written. The last poems you sent, there is only one word I would suggest adding for the spoken version. I am asking for some time with you so we can get on the same page, otherwise I would feel out of place to suggest something when one validating comment from you would keep me on a desired track. One example of suggestion is for you to consider using a space between each ellipsis point; it gives the ellipsis room to breathe, and also I have read up on this particular punctuation and can tell you in poetry you can do what you want, but give it room to breathe is my suggestion, like a breath between sentences/thoughts... or . . .

2. I have some of my writing to discuss with you: The Other Side of the Wind, and Unspoken Word. One is worthy of my manuscript, the other needs work and I need your help, please. I sent my last short story recently but have had no response from you about it.

3. My editor thinks highly of you and uses your abilities as example of what I should strive to be.

Other than that, Mexican food like you have never had (Uncle Julios, Papasitas, Benitos, La Maya Playa, Joe T Garcias), chicken fried steak, pork chops, mash potatoes (Marys), fish (Flying fish),steak Texas style (Cattlemans) and BBQ (the Railhead); I got the places already picked out to treat you.

Larry Mayfield
Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment