Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Great pics from Wall Street Shut Down

GREAT pictures. Wish I could have been there. Seeing the signs, the peace symbol shirts, reminds me of my youth. I remember my brother was in Viet Nam in 1967 and 1968. I was aboy 13 years old. As time progressed, my record collection started--Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Ike and Tina, Otis Redding, Creedence, The Doors, Dylan being my first that represented the time period. I received a draft notice in 1968, but it was a mistake and they did not take me, I was just 13. The music--Started by seeing concerts by Traffic, Jefferson Airplane, Ten Years After, The Allman Brothers, The Jerry Garcia Band, Neil Young, The Grateful Dead (three times), Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Lightnin Hopkins, Roy buchanan, Willie Nelson. My hair was long, the jeans had patches and wore desert boots, and T shirts, homemade tie-dyes. Outdoor concerts; topless women. We didnt shoot the finger, we said "peace" with our fingers. In junior English, conservative town, I wrote a pro pot essay, and crafted it carefully in such a way, the instructor didnt know what was said, as she made me stand up to read from what she thought was more conservative stemming from a play on words from then TV ads from the times, yet I got all my research from liberal publications, kids snickering as I read a liberal perspective, titled, "Why Do You Think They Call It Pot?" I bucked the system. Every-other-word in conversation was "man." We had our own group of merry pranksters. I was against the war back then, too. The tales I could tell... Those braless, mini-skirted, peace loving times make me want to go back and do it all over again.

By Larry Mayfield
Editor/friend

No comments:

Post a Comment